Saturday, February 21, 2009

Chinese on the Cheap

Alot of people these days are having a hard time making ends meet. I don't know if you've heard or not but we're in, what economics experts call, a R-E-C-E-S-S-I-O-N. Yeah. I was shocked to hear it too. (note sarcasm) Everyone is having to really evaluate what's most important in life, paring back on things not deemed necessities. I remember reading the Little House series when I was young and how hard life was for families back then. No matter how hard it was they never seemed to complain so, that's what I've been telling my daughter. What must be done should be done cheerfully. She's no different from any other teenager. She's used to eating pre-packaged foods to some degree, getting ice cream whenever the craving takes hold. Heck, my child could go through a gallon of apple juice in a day if I let her. Those days are no more. She's feeling the crunch just like the rest of us. I've taken this on as somewhat of a challenge. She and I are now forced to use our noggins to come up with inexpensive meals that are going to last more than just one sitting. Thank God my child is pretty open to anything food-wise. She LOVES sushi, was eating raw oysters by the dozen at age 4 (ugh! snot in a shell if you ask me!) and likes to try new things. One of her favorite meals happens to be one of the cheapest and it makes alot. It also is one of those meals made of things you usually have on hand and really, you can add to it with anything you think would taste good. So....without further delay......

Nicole's Noodles

1 Lb Linguini
1 Lb Sirloin (or any type meat you prefer, tofu works too)
1/2 Head of Cabbage, sliced or shredded
2 Carrots, sliced
1 Lg Onion, sliced
2-3 Cloves of Garlic, minced
Oil
Kikkoman's Stir Fry Sauce

Slice your meat into very thin slices. It's easier to do this if you place it in the freezer for about 30 mins before slicing. Heat a large pot or wok on high. Add oil and then meat. Saute until meat is done and remove to the serving bowl. Add more oil to the pot/wok and turn heat down to med to med-hi and add the veggies and saute until done stirring almost constantly. When veggies are just about done add the garlic. Remove veggies to the bowl with the meat. In another pot (or this one washed out) boil linguini until al dente. Drain. In the same pot add all the cooked ingredients (noodles, veggies and meat) and add Stir Fry Sauce to your liking. I usually use about 1/2-3/4 Cup. Mix all together, move to serving bowl and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment