Friday, February 13, 2009

What's with the blue box anyway??

Ok, it's winter. The the air is cold and crisp and everyone is all snug inside the house.....driving each other nuts. LOL. This weather makes me think of comfort food and waaaay up on my list of comfort food is macaroni and cheese. I'm not talking the stuff that comes out of that blue (why always blue??) box and tastes of cheese that has come from a synthetic cow. What I'm referring to is the kind of macaroni and cheese that Grandma made. Piping hot and out of the oven, not from the stovetop and so chock full of gooey, goopy, stringy cheese that it looks like a cheese spider made a web from the casserole dish to your plate. Yeah...I'm salivating just thinking about it. They say Duct Tape is the fixer of all things. I say that a gooey cheese-filled mouth is the best way to get a bunch of cabin-fever struck kids to shut their little pie-holes for at least 30 minutes of peace and quiet. I've noticed something though. I've noticed that alot of people don't know how to make that creamy cheese sauce that the blue box has made us accustomed to. I know, I know....you're thinking "Do you have any idea how fattening that is??" Why yes, yes I do and guess what..I'm eating it anyway!! Let me tell you something, there are some things in life that you just can't skimp on and mac n cheese is one of them. I do make a small effort to reduce the fat and calories in this classic dish. I don't use cream for one, nor do I use whole milk. I also use either low-carb or whole wheat pasta. As far as the cheese goes, sorry, I'm a cheese snob and you must use actual honest to goodness cheese.

For anyone who is new to cooking and wants to really impress someone for dinner...this is the dish! You can easily dress it up with bacon or chopped ham or add some veggies, maybe asparagus or peas. Try it and let me know what you think!

Shelley's Mah-velous Mac n Cheese

1 lb of Pasta (penne, elbow or bowtie)
1 qt 1% Low-fat Milk
1/2 C Butter
1/2 C Flour
2 C Sharp Cheddar Cheese
2 C Monteray Jack Cheese
2 C Swiss Cheese
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/2 C Bread or Cracker Crumbs


Boil your pasta until it's al dente or has just a little resistance when you bite it. Drain and set to the side. In a large, heavy bottomed pot melt your butter over low heat. When melted, whisk in your flour (for the fancy-schmancy readers, this is called a roux....roll eyes here). Cook for about one minute. This will cook out the raw flour taste. Continue whisking and add your milk. Turn the heat up to medium. As you whisk you'll notice it will start to thicken. After cooking and whisking for about 3 minutes start adding the cheese. This will now turn into the most awesome cheese sauce. Add your nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Mix in the pasta and then transfer to a buttered casserole dish. Top with your bread or cracker crumbs and top with small bits of butter. Bake for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Once browned remove from oven and let cool for about 10-15 minutes. Serve.

Hope you like it!

1 comment:

  1. Can we say YUMMY!?!?!?!?!?! I'm so gonna have to try it with the bacon!! I've had this before peeps, it ROCKS!!

    ReplyDelete